Carlitos Lunghi Site
"While the sky exists, your monuments will exist
and your name lasted like the sky"
phrase dedicated to Ramses II when erecting the obelisks of Luxor
In the temple of Amon in Luxor, Thebes, RAMSES II, faraon of
dynasty placed six colossal statues of himself and a pair of obelisk ahead
arround the year 1300 B.C..
The twin obelisks erected by RAMSES II, to commemorate his victory at
the battle of Qadesh, which is now Syria, in front at the temple of Amón in
Luxor, of 22,55 metros and 227 tons, have the sides with a convex of 3
cm., probable attempt correct the effect it has, it was be flat; and will be
similarity concave for the opposition of shade and light in the angles.
In the base to the obelisk are represented various sacred babuins and in
the faces have the suitable titles of the real protocol.
Ilustration to the obelisk in front the enter
at the Temple Amon - Luxor, Thebes, Egypt.
Imagen of the Description de l´Egypte
published by orders of Napoleon Bonaparte
Ones stay in front of the pilono, on the west side
was the first obelisk
translate from Egypt to Paris, in the contempory age, his twin stay erect in
the origin same place. That one, was legacy like the other, to France by
Mohammed-Ali, under Turkish occupation, and France never resign to him
Thebes flourished as a center of the
civilized world during the New
Kingdom era (1570-1085 B.C.). The fame of the city is even described in
the ninth book of the Iliad: "Thebes in Egypt, where the houses are piled
high with treasures, and the city has a hundred gates, and through each
gate two hundred men drive out with horses and chariots (The Iliad, Book
Hipotetic reconstruction to obelisk erected
Hipotetica reconstruccion de como pudo levantarse un obelisco
Paints of David Roberts (1796-1864)
Actuals views of the Temple of Amón & the obelisk of RAMSES II - Luxor, Egypt.
Detail of the babuins
The obelisk of the Luxor Museum, is of
so single 0.96 meters and 1.18
meters with the pedestal, this made in red granite.
RAMSES III constructed this obelisk, of so that they were in the great
temple of Amun in Karnak.
In 1923, this was discovered at the small space, west side, between the
9th and 10th pylons of the Great Temple of Amun, but one of the pair
was not found.
Although the lower part of this obelisk is lost, the whole one is supposed
to be a small one.
The King's horus name is inscribed enclosed by rectangle, and his
coronation name as King of Upper and Lower Egypt is enclosed in
The History of the Egyptian Obelisk
TM & © 1996-2003 carliar