Carlitos Lunghi Site

FAYUM

                     The obelisk  was  placed  by JEPERKARA-SENUSERT, Dinasty
                     XII, in Abgig or Begig (region of Fayum), a  locality  located  to  3
                     km to S.E. of Medinet el-Fayum.
                     The Napoleonic expedition  already soo  and thus is gathered in its
                     Description of l'Egypte (to see attached image). Later Lepsius and
                     Wilkinson year 1827 copied part of its inscriptions: it was the time
                     at which they went away gathering  all type of testimonies  of  the
                     hieroglyphic writing hardly deciphered  to  throw  the bases of the
                     historical reconstruction.
                     John  Gardner  Wilkinson,  communicated  his discoveries  to  the
                     antique  dealer  William  Gell, doing  to  him  to  observe  that  its
                     vagabundeos by the desert they were  not a loss of time; in fact it
                     interpreted correctly name of its author JEPERKARA-SENUSERT.
                     The monument lay collapsed in the middle of  the  field cultivated
                     and without relation with any surrounding structure, as it indicated
                     Mohammed Effendi Shaaban, the last  one  in charge, in 1925,  to
                     carry out one ocular inspection of the zone.
                     Later was transferred like decorative monument to the entrance of
                     the oasis of the  Fayum,  in  the original place, four calcarea stone
                     slabs they  composed  a  square  base  of 3.6 meters of side, for a
                     monolith  of  granite (started  off  now  in  two  trunks)  of  12.90
                     meters of stop, that  it  was  narrowed  upwards and from 2.30 to
                     1.40 of side.
                     The superior part is  cleared  and appears cut in the center by one
                     rectangular  cavity  to  maintain  its  termination; it is necessary to
                     exclude pyramidon (like in the obelisks themselves), because they
                     do not exist comparisons for this system of assembly.    It is more
                     probable  hypothesis  of a statue, metal perhaps, a divine image or
                     of an emblem.
                     Shaaban looked for the rest in vain  and  also  it  has  been tried to
                     find possible parallel in the representations of the  primitive chapel
                     of Shedet (the pharaonic chapel of Fayum) consecrated  the  main
                     God, the crocodile Sobek. This chapel is represented with a cover
                     in finished off arc and by a bucraneo (head of ox or antelope) that
                     there is to understand like  protective  symbol  or like datum point
                     for the offerings to the God.
                     The sides of the monolith, that  altogether  can be formed like one
                     highest WAKE, is enrolled, with  the  exception  of  the  later face,
                     with the title of the ofrendante.   In the previous face a decoration
                     is reserved more complex: in five boxes, divided in two halves, the
                     sovereign one is before two divinities of Low and  the  Egypt Stop
                     (and the crown by consequence, is red and the white) and creative
                     divinities.
                     The rest   of   the   final  inscription  allow  to  interpret  that  it  is
                     celebration of  the  opening  of the Fayum, operation that sends to
                     the creation original original that is to have of the king  to continue
                     and to renew.


Image of the  napoleonic expedition at the Description de l'Egypte

Actual view to the Fayum´s obelisk, Egypt

back to
The History of the Egyptian Obelisk